Thursday, August 2, 2012

Catherine's Garden Progress

One of the 36+ flowers on the quilt
Reproducing my Catherine's Garden quilt was a joy.

When I wasn't stitching I was reseraching the information that came with the quilt.

The detail is wonderful, and it was all the more fun stitching it with friends.









We compared colors and fabric choices.

My friend chose the Amy Butler Banana fabric for her background - just like Catherine did.
Isn't it wonderful?

Mine version is the cream ground.

The quilted example pictured is the original 1855 quilt.  Ours are still tops.






We had great days comparing our tops to the original.

There are reproduction fabrics from Pat L. Nickols, Nancy Kirk, and some newer reproduction fabrics from Moda's Friendship line.

We got the wonderful Amy Butler 'Banana' background fabric from Fat Quarters Quilt Shop in Vista Ca.





We are constantly amazed by the original makers imaginative garden.  There are more than 36 unique flowers, and numerous leaves.

As I put the finishing touches on my top - I am thinking ahead to the backing.  The original is backed in solid cream, I just might so the same, but I love surprise backings.  I'll be posting my finished top any day now.  Wish me luck ;-)

Have a great weekend!








16 comments:

  1. It looks so pretty. Love the applique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see your finished product. This is such a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just lovely....the Amy Butler Banana looks great ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good. I can't wait to see the progess as you go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, I can't wait to see the whole thing! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an amazing quilt - I can't wait to see yours finished!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's lovely Dawn! I love a print on the back!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to see your finished top!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to admit that I am a sucker for that 'banana' fabric. I see it as a green - but that's me and my warped color sense. I'm anxious to see what your surprise is going to be for the back *s*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty. Is Nancy Kirk back with her wonderful reproduction fabrics? I cried the day I heard she was leaving the business.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No new lines that I'm aware of. Don't we wish!!
    I just bought LOTS when I had the chance and have used it over the years on very special projects. I think Nancy is doing a bed turning at AQSG with quilts from her personal collection.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful applique' project. Love these blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love seeing your applique. I don't think I've ever done a project along with a friend. I guess it's a good way to keep motivated. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice - I look forward to the post showing the whole top. Will you hand quilt ?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!